Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More babies

I was bemused by the reaction to the mom who gave birth to octuplets recently. Gasp! She now has 14 kids and no visible means of support!! Is this woman mad!?! Well, probably. But when I read that four of the 8 are identical twins I realized it was with a divine madness. Watching the press go haywire with their "ethical" questions raised by these births makes me realize God wants to highlight a few things here. First, babies are a blessing. Even premature and expensive ones. Next, invitro fertilization is a bad thing. Really. Fetus reduction should be a crime not having eight babies. Fathers are a good thing, even necessary. The father of these babies should step up and shoulder some responsibility. And ultimately, who really cares how much these babies are going to cost? Estimate: $1.5 million and rising. This country is bleeding money everywhere. What would happen if we gave this woman $500,000 (suggested pay cap for failed Wall Street bankers) and let her hire a nanny or two. Look! Job creation! Or perhaps she could be encouraged (but not forced) to consider adoption. There are many people who would loved to raise these babies. I repeat, babies are a blessing. I know times are hard and money is tight or at least that is what I'm told every time I turn on the news but can't we afford 8 more babies? Is this the straw that will sink our economy? This is not the most responsible woman on the planet but I'm not prepared to stone her because she craves babies. Someone set up a donation site, please! Send in Extreme Makeover Home Edition. She needs an addition. And maybe some support. God allowed her these babies, perhaps to see how we will react to them.

No comments: