Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going Green

And not just the color of the blog! Yesterday I re-installed our clothesline which had been in retirement since 2002 when I had two in highschool and two learning to read and a whole lot more wash than I have at present! Now we still have lots of towels but no diapers (alas). The chickens are free-ranging over the yard inspite of recent coyote sightings and the unlucky demise of Henny-Penny(what is this? the wild west??) In honor of Saint Matthias (patron saint of our church) we had our Springtime Redwall feast from the Redwall Cookbook (Gatehouse teabread, vegetable casserole ala Foremole, Abbot's Raspberry triffle) with not one ingredient something my grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. I started a ball of plarn (yarn made from recycled plastic grocery bags) so I can make one of these . I considered making mop covers for my swiffer but I have an endless supply of old t-shirts that I cut to size and stick in those pricky hole thingys and they are still disposible. Frankly I don't want to wash anything I've used to clean the bathroom floor. The garden is planted with swiss chard, lettuce and radishes. Tomatoes, corn, squash, and beans are waiting for warmer weather. (44 degrees today, brrr). We are nearly finished with our school year and I am playing around with ideas for a Distributist's Education. If I organize anything that looks like a plan I'll post it.

1 comment:

The Bookworm said...

We are on a similar road ;). My tumble dryer died a couple of years ago and we opted not to replace it. In summer washing goes outside on the line; in winter it gets draped round the house over radiators and banisters. I decided I couldn't be bothered with plastic yarn (my Mum has a similar bag, but crocheted by someone else), but I have crocheted swiffer covers. My neighbour thought this was hysterically funny. If I had boys instead of girls I might think differently about washing the covers! Sadly, so far this year I have attempted to grow absolutely nothing. Not so much as a single flower. Why launch into life something doomed to a waterless fate worse than death? So says my inner cynic. And my husband.