
Ken's big day was May 4th! He was calm and frankly put out by all the hoopla. I think he has been ready for awhile. We made the Mass book from Catholic Heritage Curriculum's second grade lesson plans and we studied A Child's Missal by Patmos (very good) and read St. Patrick's Summer by Marigild Hunt (Not so good--nobody liked this book although we soldiered through to the end, the plot seemed very forced and the boys complained that it was boring. I wish I had read Adventure of the Amethyst by Cecily Hallack instead. This book was given to me by a very dear friend awhile ago and I've been waiting for the right moment to share it with the boys. I thought it would be better to wait on this one but I was wrong!) Ken's First Communion class also made banners. I am not a crafty person but I thought Ken's turned out pretty good. It was supposed to have images of things Ken is interested in. Well...pirates and dinosaurs didn't seem appropriate so we went with dragons and being April 23 when we made it Saint George seemed a natural choice.
1 comment:
Congratulations, Ken! For what it's worth, we only made it about half way through St.Patrick's Summer. I sort of liked it, but it lost H and I see what you mean about it feeling forced. I'm glad to have your thumbs up for the Patmos Missal. I have wondered about getting that one. I've come to the conclusion that H needs some serious remedial catechism lessons - it seems an awful lot has gone in one ear and out the other without passing through her brain on the way! I can at least console myself with the thought that her teachers at school do no better. She just had a week of testing - I asked if she had covered everything that was on her science test. She didn't have a clue. "I might have done, but I probably wasn't listening ...".
Post a Comment