Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stacked Pancakes

This morning it really was foggy not snowing heavily as I first thought. And the sun burned through and it has been a beautiful day with the frost on the tree limbs glittering brilliantly. Very lovely!
For breakfast we had stacked pancakes ala Farmer Boy. If anyone thinks the amount of food Almonzo eats in this book is an exaggeration I am here to tell you it is not. After a day of sledding and shoveling my boys can easily consume that much food. I used the recipe for pancakes from "The Little House Cookbook" by Barbara M. Walker

1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water and set aside
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
Combine everything but soda and stir well, add baking soda and fry in hot skillet.
Butter each pancake and sprinkle with maple sugar (this was a real treat for us at $17.00 a pound but was the cheap stuff at Almonzo's house where white sugar was saved for company)
serve in stacks of 3 or 4. By the way, a pound of maple sugar will cover alot of pancakes. We have doubled this recipe twice now, and still have enough for maybe two more batches.

1 comment:

The Bookworm said...

This has been sitting open on my computer waiting for me to comment for a week! Argh!!!

Pancakes are a big thing here at the moment - H and N adore them, and they are one of the few things H will really eat (rather than pick at) for breakfast. And I do mean eat ... quicker than I can make them! I make European style thin pancakes, though, not American stacks ;). I bought a big bag of American pancake mix from Costco, and nobody except me would eat them :(.